Senior Anger – What You Should Know?
Is your senior acting rudely? Are their sudden angry outbursts are becoming a common occurrence? Are the bad days becoming more frequent? Well, you are not alone. Anger in seniors is a serious problem that can become a nightmare if not handled on time. But what causes such anger issues?
- Dissatisfaction with life
- Poor health
- Stress and anxiety
- Pains and aches
An older adult suffering from such issues is likely to act out aggressively. Family members and caregivers usually take the burn of seniors’ outbursts. You will need a considerable amount of patience and empathy to deal with it. Know that they are in pain and discomfort, which is causing them to lash out. And, know the ways to handle it in a calm and simple manner.
- Firstly, do not take their words or behavior personally. If needed, take a day off from your care giving duties and relax. Share duties with other family members to make it easier.
- Talk to your loved one about their anger issues. What is making them angry? And if it is something you can help with, then go ahead and solve the issue.
- If the reason behind their anger is a disease like dementia, then talk to their physician about it. You can also hire care providers. With professional care, your senior may feel better and lose some of their anger.
- Suggest them productive ways to vent anger like regular exercise at gym, meditation etc.
Always Best Care offers inclusive dementia care services in Alexandria, and surrounding areas in Virginia. Schedule your care consultation with them at (703) 348-6282.