Reduce Your Aging Parents’ Dementia Risk and Worry with Always Best Care
Almost half of North Texas residents (48%) aged 40 to 64 are concerned about developing memory loss and dementia, according to a new National Poll on Healthy Aging.
Fortunately, there’s plenty you can do to lower your risk–much of which is automatically integrated into every Always Best Care service plan.
According to the Alzheimer’s Society website, the following 5 lifestyle factors decrease the risk of developing dementia:
- Frequent physical activity. Regular physical activity is one of the best ways to reduce your dementia risk. The Alzheimer’s Society recommends 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, such as brisk walking or digging in the garden, each week.
- Healthy diet. Eating a healthy, balanced diet may reduce your risk of dementia, as well as other conditions like cancer, type-2 diabetes, obesity, stroke, and heart disease. The Alzheimer’s Society recommends a simple diet of lean protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates,limited sugar intake, 5 or more portions of fruit and vegetables each day, and 6-8 glasses of fluid.
- Smoking cessation. Smoking restricts the circulation of blood around the body, including blood vessels in the brain, which may increase the risk of developing dementia.
- Drinking less alcohol. Excessive alcohol consumption dramatically increases dementia risk. The Alzheimer’s Society recommends no more than 14 units each week, which should be spread out over at least 3 days.
- Keeping an active mind. Like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay strong. Find something you enjoy that also challenges the brain. Learn a new language, complete puzzles and other brain games, or read challenging books more often to decrease your dementia risk.
Implementing these 5 behavioral modifications can be difficult, but not with Always Best Care. In fact, our care services are specifically designed to promote all 5 of these dementia-fighting lifestyle factors:
- Always Best Care creates safe exercise opportunities. Whether your loved one needs somebody to accompany them on a gentle walk through the garden, or needs safe transportation to their favorite North Texas aerobics class, Always Best Care can help. These services are included in every care plan.
- Always Best Care serves fresh, healthy meals. Always Best Care workers can shop for groceries, prepare food, cook, serve, and clean up as needed. In this way, we make healthy food even easier than fast food for your loved one!
- Always Best Care supports smoking cessation efforts. Whether you need somebody cheering you on or holding you accountable by tracking cigarettes smoked per day, Always Best Care workers are there to support your healthy lifestyle changes.
- Always Best Care helps you cut back on drinking. We can monitor your loved one’s alcohol consumption, limit their access to alcohol as needed, and provide encouragement, motivation, and distractions when cravings kick in.
- Always Best Care keeps seniors’ minds active. Our caregivers offer stimulating conversation, brain games, puzzles, access to social events and outings, and much more to keep brains strong and healthy.
Book a Free Consultation with Always Best Care
Always Best Care Southlake & Denton proudly serves Southlake, Denton, Flower Mound, Grapevine, and surrounding areas in North Texas.
If you would like to learn more about what we have to offer, you can explore our comprehensive senior care services or browse North Texas care resources on our website. Alternately, you can call 940-241-2273 to speak with a representative at any time. If you like what you hear (or read), book a FREE consultation. There is never any commitment to buy or cost involved in this consultation–we just want to explain how we can help!