Fight Senior Isolation: Optimize Pet Therapy With Home Care Services
Today’s post reviews research on the benefits of human-animal interactions (HAI), as presented on AARP Texas’ Prepare to Care podcast, then explains how our home care services optimize pet therapy for older adults in Southlake/Denton, TX.
Read on to learn more about how we help senior pet owners live carefree, or call (940)-241-2273 to speak directly with a home care coordinator in Southlake/Denton, TX.
Research Review: The Benefits Of Pet Therapy For Seniors
“Research has shown again and again that social isolation is a huge risk for older adults and their caregivers,” says Charlene James, host of AARP Texas’ Prepare to Care podcast.
Multiple studies have shown that people who are lonely or isolated are more likely to experience:
- Heart attack
- Type-2 diabetes
- Cognitive decline
Additionally, isolated seniors are more than twice as likely to die prematurely.
To combat these serious health risks, AARP Texas has partnered with the Best Friends Animal Society to explore the benefits of pet therapy and human-animal interactions (HAI), and their findings are changing the way many Texans are approaching home care.
So how can pet ownership have therapeutic benefits for older adults? Citing multiple studies, here’s what pet therapy expert Kerry McKeel had to say:
- The bond between people and their pets help to reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness, giving your loved one a constant companion and source of unconditional love
- In several studies, pet ownership has been shown to increase owner longevity
- In cases where pet care does not become a burden for older adults with poor mobility or low energy levels, pet ownership has been shown to greatly reduce stress, which in turn has a protective effect on seniors’ cognitive function
- Pet ownership increases overall fitness levels, including cardiovascular health, muscle and joint strength, and balance, through regular walks and play
Optimize Pet Therapy With Home Care Services In North Texas
As our research review showed, pet therapy has several important benefits for seniors’ overall health, longevity, and quality of life, but only when pet care does not become a burden. If you want the best of both worlds, giving your loved one all the benefits of human-animal interactions (HAI) with none of the stress of pet care, our home care team is here to help.
If your loved one owns a pet, our home care team can:
- Keep the home care environment clean and fresh, minimizing pet dander and cleaning up any pet waste
- Help work off excess energy with vigorous play
- Purchase pet toys and supplies as needed
- Assist with pet transportation, whether your loved one is visiting family out-of-town or they need to take their dog to the veterinarian
- Assist with pet walking and exercise, whether or not your loved one wants to join in
- Assist with pet feeding, making sure they’re getting adequate servings on-time, and replacing pet food as needed
- Assist with grooming, whether that means brushing your pets on a regular basis or booking appointments at the doggie spa!
Our home care team includes all of these pet care services and more as part of every custom plan.
Free Quote On Home Care Services In Southlake/Denton, TX
To learn more about how our home care team supports seniors in isolation, you can: