Senior Assisted Living in Katy, Texas
The population of people age 85 or older is predicted to nearly triple from 6.3 million in 2015 to 17.9 million in 2050, and the vast majority will rely on senior assisted living.
If you’re one of the thousands of SW Houston (Katy) residents who will need senior assisted living in 2018-2019, this post is for you. Read on for an inside look at senior assisted living communities in Katy, Texas, where you’ll get to know the typical candidate and personal care standards, and find out how to book a free referral.
Defining Senior Assisted Living in Katy, Texas
Many people confuse assisted living facilities with nursing homes, when in reality these care settings (and the people who live there) are quite different.
Part of this confusion comes from the fact that senior assisted living definitions vary from state to state.
The Compendium of Residential Care and Assisted Living Regulations and Policydefines an assisted living facility as “an establishment that furnishes, in one or more facilities, food and shelter to four or more persons who are unrelated to the proprietor and provides personal care services, supervision or direct administration of medications, and other permitted services.”
Any long-term care facility that isn’t licensed is not permitted to use the term “assisted living” when referring to their facility or senior care services. The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) licenses several types of assisted living facilities:
- Assisted living apartments (single-occupancy);
- Residential care apartments (double-occupancy);
- Residential care non-apartments.
Additionally, certain facilities provide adult foster care (AFC), which is typically designed to support those with physical, mental, and emotional limitations.
In Texas, facilities are further sub-categorized based on the type and level of care provided, as well as the residents’ ability to evacuate during an emergency:
- Type A facilities, in which residents do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and are capable of following directions in an emergency;
- Type B facilities, in which residents require nighttime attendance and staff assistance to evacuate, and are not capable of following directions during an emergency.
- Type C facilities, which meet DADS criteria as adult foster care providers.
Who are Typical Senior Assisted Living Residents?
According to Texas Health and Human Services, the typical senior assisted living resident may:
- Need assistance with movement, bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Require assistance with medications, including supervision of self-medication or administration of medicine
- Need self-help devices
- Be hearing or speech impaired
- Require an established therapeutic diet or otherwise benefit from assistance with meals
What Care Services are Provided at Senior Assisted Living Facilities?
This will depend on which senior assisted living facility you choose.
Contrary to popular belief, senior assisted living centers do not provide intensive medical care. Senior assisted living is intended for those who need some help with the activities of daily living, but want to maintain as much independence as possible.
Senior assisted living support services may include:
- Medication reminders
- Meal preparation
- Help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)
Find Senior Assisted Living in Katy, Texas
Always Best Care SW Houston (Katy) offers free senior assisted living referral services for locals in need. After completing your family consultation to understand your unique care needs, we provide a shortlist of potential residences, then accompany you to each, where we act as your tour guide and advocate.
We are able to offer this service at no charge because we are remunerated by senior assisted living partners. However, you are never under any obligation to choose one of our referrals.
Visit https://www.alwaysbestcare.com/tx/katy/care-services/assisted-living-services/ to learn more or book your free consultation online.