Vision Care for Seniors
Vision problems can occur at any age, but are most common in seniors. Hypertension, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease add to the risk of age-related eye problems. Sadly, as we get older, poor eyesight can lead to despair and anxiety due to the fear of falling, loss of balance and restricted mobility at a time of life when staying active is essential to sustain health and our quality of life. The good news is that maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which includes regular exercise, good nutrition, regular check-ups and food supplements, may control many of these conditions.
Some serious eye conditions include:
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Dry Eyes
Important Lifestyle Changes
- Limit sugar intake. For many eye conditions, a higher risk of developing problems is associated with higher sugar intake. For example, in the case of cataracts, high blood sugar confines the capability of the eye to keep the lens clear.
- Start eating a healthy diet with lots of leafy greens, fruits, whole grains and don’t forget to drink plenty of water.
- Guard your eyes from powerful ultraviolet light. Wear sunglasses that shield your eyes from UV radiation every time you go out. You can also get a lighter tint for the days that aren’t as sunny. Clouds do not block the damaging rays.
- Try to quit smoking as it increases many risk factors, not just for eye issues. For example, the risk of developing cataracts is much higher if you smoke. For males smoking more than a pack a day, the risk is 205% higher and for females, the risk is 63% higher.
- Exercise daily. Just getting out and walking is one of the best things you can do to help you stay active. People who are overweight, but who are physically fit, have better overall health than those who are thin but inactive.
If you are unable to manage your eye health and need some assistance, contact us for the best senior home care services in Mahoning County. For more information about how we can help you maintain your health, call us today at (330) 385-5960.