Fitness Tips for Older Adults
Do not let your age discourage you from doing regular exercise. It offers an array of benefits right from protecting you against heart disease, enhancing energy levels, building strong bones, maintaining blood pressure to reducing the risk of developing conditions like osteoporosis, and more. Regular exercise also progresses mobility by keeping the ligaments and joints flexible.
Here are some tips which can help you become more active physically as well as mentally:
1. Ask your doctor before starting an exercise routine: There may be some exercises that aren’t right for you, especially if you are suffering from any medical condition such as obesity or chronic illness. So, it is better to ask your doctor if there is any type of physical activity you should avoid.
2. Start slow: Choose activities you find interesting and manageable. Do not be in a hurry as it may cause failure. Start slow and aim for little improvements.
3. Make it a priority: Make exercise your priority and do not miss a day without exercising. Regular exercise can lead to great results.
4. Try these exercises: If you have mobility issues, start with the following three exercises:
- Light weights
- Balance exercises (standing on one foot, walking heel to toe)
- Flexibility exercises (shoulder and upper back stretch, neck side rolls)
5. Make exercise a social event: Invite friends to exercise along with you or join a fitness class. This will surely improve your performance while giving you the opportunity to meet new people and stay socially active.
If you are unable to manage your physical health at home, you can consider moving to an assisted living facility where caregivers can help you maintain a good physical and mental health. Contact Always Best Care to find the right Assisted Living option in Morris. Call at (862) 772-7047.