Arthritis – Causes, Symptoms & Preventions
Arthritis is a joint disorder that causes irritation and swelling in the joints. It is most common in seniors and is generally associated with joint pain. There are many types of arthritis such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and more.
Causes of Arthritis
- Aging: This cause is untreated as aging cannot be stopped.
- Infection or illness: Infection or illness is one of the causes of Arthritis. In most of the cases, this type of illness or infection will occur in the tissues of the joint. Viruses, bacteria or fungi are all accountable for such infections.
- Injuries: Seniors who are struggling with injuries are more likely to develop Arthritis in the affected joint. They may have even received joint injuries in childhood that have caused the deterioration later in life.
- Genetics or family history: If any family members are suffering or had been suffering from Arthritis, then their children are more likely to develop Arthritis in their later years. The genes are transferred from parents to children and then those children in their senior years may develop this disease.
Symptoms of Arthritis
- Severe pain in joints
- Reduced mobility
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth
- Difficulty in sleeping
Preventive Measures of Arthritis
- Stay physically active and exercise regularly. It may sound counter intuitive, but exercise and movement actually protects the joints from damage by keeping them healthy – provided the type of exercise is gentle on the joints. Any lower impact exercise will help, such as walking, swimming, and cycling.
- Avoid high-purine foods such as seafood, shellfish and organ meats, and alcoholic beverages.
- Quit smoking.
- Eat healthy and have a balanced diet with the proper nutrients.
- Stay hydrated.
- Get physical therapy when needed, use a cold-pack application, home remedies, splinting, paraffin wax dips, anti-inflammatory drugs and pain medications. Make sure you speak with a doctor about which may help and be the best for you. Some pain medications interact with others, so be sure to check with a professional.
- Get regular health checkups.
If you or your senior loved one is suffering from Arthritis,learn about the causes of Arthritis and follow preventive or maintenance measures, such as those mentioned above.
If you need any professional help regarding senior care, contact Always Best Care. We are a senior care firm that has been providing excellent home health care services in Morris since 1996. To learn more, call us at (862) 772-7047.