Tips To Keep Your Dementia Suffering Senior Safe
Wandering is common among dementia suffering seniors, and it poses a great threat to their safety. It’s the responsibility of family members or caregivers to ensure that the dementia suffering senior is safe. But, how you can do that? Well, here are some tips.
- Modify the house to ensure your senior’s safety. Identify the areas that could pose threat and install instruction near them to make sure your loved one doesn’t venture in there. Install grab bars in the bathroom, remove loose rugs and clutter from the house. Identify any kind of hazard (related to fire, trip etc.) in the house and remove it.
- Make sure all the smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors in the house are in working condition.
- You should install medical alert or other emergency systems in the house to ensure that your senior can get immediate help when needed.
- Establish a routine for your loved one’s activities to reduce the risk of wandering.
- Be prepared for any emergency, whether medical or safety related. Keep emergency numbers easily accessible.
It is advised to visit your senior often, if they live alone. With regular visits, you can see if they need help or if they are struggling in daily living. Or, you can hire caregivers to care for your dementia suffering loved one. However, make sure to hire professionals, who have previous experience in caring for dementia patients. And choose only a noted senior care firm for this purpose.
Always Best Care offers inclusive home care services in Shakopee and surrounding areas. Speak to their experts at (952) 283-1654 and schedule your free care consultation.