Prepare For ‘Aging In Place’ With Caregivers In Clinton Township, MI
Today’s post reviews research by the University of Michigan spotlighting the greatest threat to successful aging-in-place, then explains how our caregivers help seniors overcome these obstacles with responsive care and smart preparation.
Read on to learn more, or call (586)-690-7500 to speak directly with a caregiver coordinator in Clinton Township, MI.
Michigan Study Highlights Major Challenges To Aging-In-Place
In a new study by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation, 88% of adults between the ages of 50 and 80 indicated that it was very important to them that they live in their homes for as long as possible. These results echo findings from national surveys by the American Association of Retired Persons, which estimated that 77% of seniors now plan to enjoy their Golden Years in the comfort of home.
And yet, while the vast majority of seniors expect to age-in-place, only a small minority have actually taken steps to do so. Only 15% of respondents said they had considered how their homes may need to be modified as they age, while 47% had given it little or no thought.
Meanwhile, nearly half (48%) of seniors said they currently lived alone, without caregiver support from family or friends, compared to just over one-quarter (27%) of respondents who had access to informal care resources.
In summary, most older adults want to ‘age in place,’ but many haven’t taken steps to help them do so, which include:
- Identifying local caregiver resources (e.g. Clinton Township senior center programming)
- Researching professional caregivers and planning for the financial costs of care
- Making modifications to the home (e.g. anti-slip mats, grab bars, accessibility modifications)
- Creating caregiver schedules with friends and family
- Exploring assisted living facilities as an alternative option
As the old saying goes, failing to plan is planning to fail, but our caregivers are here to help. Read on to learn a few ways we’re helping Clinton Township families prepare to age in place, or call (586)-690-7500 to speak directly with a caregiver coordinator in Clinton Township.
Prepare To Age-In-Place With Caregivers In Clinton Township, MI
These are just a few of the ways our caregivers are helping local seniors prepare for successful aging-in-place:
- Caregivers help seniors save money. Highlighting seniors’ financial concerns, the University of Michigan report also revealed that only 19% of seniors felt confident that they could afford to pay someone to help with household chores, grocery shopping, personal care, or managing their finances (2022, April 13).
But what many Clinton Township families don’t realize is that professional caregivers are not purely an expense; in addition to increasing their comfort, quality of life, and independence, caregivers can actually help seniors save money.
Indeed, over the past few years, we’ve saved local families thousands of dollars by cutting coupons, locating free senior care resources in Clinton Township, bargain-hunting during grocery shops, preparing home-cooked meals in place of pricey takeout, managing thermostats, and helping to prevent costly injuries at home. And that’s hardly scratching the surface.
- Caregivers help seniors modify the home for successful aging. Our caregivers can buy and install many different home mobility aids, such as grab bars and anti-slip mats, and we can also schedule and supervise professional installation of ramps, lifts, and other devices that may be needed.
- Caregivers simplify long-term care planning. Our caregiver consultations are the perfect jumping-off point for your family planning, as we gather friends and family to discuss your loved ones care needs and schedule. We also provide no-cost assisted living placements, and as lifelong residents with deep community ties, we can refer you to Clinton Township’s best long-term care resources. And should your long-term care plan ever fall apart at the last minute, our caregivers are just a phone call away.
Book A Free Caregiver Consultation In Clinton Township, MI
To learn more about how we’re helping seniors prepare for successful aging-in-place, and to schedule a free caregiver consultation, you can:
- Call (586)-690-7500 to speak directly with a caregiver coordinator in Clinton Township
- Email [email protected] with questions and schedule availability
- Fill out our quick-and-easy contact form to book a consultation online
University of Michigan. (2022, April 13). “Most older adults want to ‘age in place’ but many haven’t taken steps to help them do so: From home safety and accessibility, to social support, community services and paid in-home help, National Poll on Healthy Aging shows varied preparation.” ScienceDaily.