Pandemic Isolation Increases Fall Risk: Stay Safe With Senior Care
New research by the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society shows that pandemic isolation puts seniors at risk of slip-and-fall injuries. But our senior care services can keep your loved ones safe.
Read on to review the research and learn how we can help reduce your loved one’s risk of slip-and-fall injury with COVID-safe senior care services, or call (586)-690-7500 to speak directly with a senior care representative in Clinton Township, MI.
Pandemic isolation creates senior care concerns in Clinton Township, MI
The survey, which involved more than 2,000 participants aged 50 to 80 years old, asked respondents how sheltering-in-place affected health behaviors, physical functioning, and fall risk. Here’s what they found:
- Balance training and physical exercise can reduce fall risk, and yet more than one-third (37%) of seniors reported reduced physical activity levels as a result of pandemic isolation.
- More than one-third (35%) of seniors reported spending less time on their feet during the day as a result of pandemic isolation, which increases their risk of frailty and sarcopenia, the progressive loss of muscle mass
- Through reductions in physical activity, “the COVID-19 pandemic may have worsened physical function and led to higher fall-related risks.” Roughly one-quarter of respondents reported falling one or more times since March 2020, and both the risks and incidence of falls increased over time for respondents whose physical activity levels declined.
Not only does pandemic isolation increase your loved ones’ risk of falling; it also increases the risks of negative outcomes, since many seniors fall alone, without support or access to immediate medical attention.
If your loved one has fallen in the past, or you believe they’re at risk of falling, our senior care team is here to help. Beyond providing full support with the activities of daily living, we can help you implement frailty-fighting diets, fall-proof the home care environment, create safe opportunities for daily exercise, and more!
Book a free senior care consultation in Clinton Township, MI
For over a decade, Always Best Care has been helping seniors live carefree with personalized long-term care solutions, comprising:
- Non-medical care and support with the activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Social companionship
- Wellness check-ins and live-in monitoring
- Help with home maintenance
- Meal preparation
- Medication management
- Hospital transfers and post-COVID hospitalization care
- COVID-safe transportation, wherever and whenever it is needed
- Pandemic safety support
- Fall prevention interventions, and much more
If your loved one has fallen in the past, or you feel they may be at risk, we can help. Our senior care providers specialize in fall prevention, and our services are available for families all over Southeast Michigan, including the communities of Mount Clemens, Chesterfield, Sterling Heights, and beyond.
To book your free senior care consultation in Clinton Township, MI, you can: