Finding Caregiver Life Balance with Home Care Assistance
If you’re providing informal home care assistance for an aging parent or loved one in Clinton Township, Michigan, you’re not alone. According to an AARP Public Policy Institute report, roughly 40 million family caregivers provided 37 billion hours of care worth $470 billion in 2013–that’s nearly as much as Walmart’s total worldwide sales ($485.9 billion for the fiscal year)! And those numbers have only grown since.
You probably know that providing care for an aging parent or loved one can be extremely rewarding, but it can also be stressful and time-consuming.
In fact, according to AARP’s “Caregiving in the United States 2015” report, nearly half of all informal caregivers are “somewhat stressed,” and more than a third are “highly stressed.”
That’s a heartbreaking statistic, especially when professional home care assistance is available.
If you’re among the millions of family caregivers whose work-life balance is gone awry, read on! Always Best Care Clinton Township can help with more than you think for less than you’d imagine.
Finding Caregiver Life Balance With ABC’s Home Care Assistance
In her article “7 Tips for Avoiding Caregiver Burnout That Really Work,” AARP writer Shelley Emling recommends the following steps for informal caregivers under stress:
- Remind yourself that your work has value
- Find ways to mass communicate, specifically when trying to update groups of friends and family about health changes or events in your aging parent’s life
- Join a support group
- Get organized
- Nurture the positive relationships in your life
- Give yourself a break
- Don’t forget to take care of your own health
These are all great tips, but they’re not easy to implement when you’re already struggling to balance work, life, and caregiver obligations. For instance, where are you supposed to find the time to “create an inventory of where important items are kept” (tip #4) or “spend an evening with someone who is a good listener” (tip #5) when you’re already way behind on your to-do list?
This is the paradox: you often have to spend more time to make more time. And that’s just not an option for some family caregivers.
Home care assistance–even a small dose of it here and there–makes all these problems go away, and gives you the time you need to incorporate all of Emling’s healthful tips.
Our carefully selected team of licensed, bonded, and insured caregivers provides complete home care that includes:
- Meal preparation
- Companionship (games, conversation, assistance with hosting, accompaniment to social events, and more)
- Assistance with the activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Monitoring diet and eating, medication use, healthy lifestyle habit upkeep, and more
- Help with pet care
- Supervision of all home maintenance, service calls, visitors, and door-to-door soliciting
- Shopping errand service for books, magazines, groceries, movies, music, and anything else that is needed
- Help with cleaning, organizing, and tidying
- Assistance with arranging appointments and managing schedules
- A reliable point of contact when your loved one needs to be reached
Respite care isn’t about sloughing off your family–it’s about making more time for them and ensuring that they always have the best care available.
It’s also about upping the quality of care that you can provide: by delegating a few hours each week, you make time to join a support group (tip #3), get organized (tip #4), nurture positive relationships in your life (tip #5), give yourself a break (tip #6), and take care of your health (tip #7). In doing so, you’re able to return to your family caregiving duties refreshed and ready to take on whatever the day brings with a positive attitude.
Whether you need an hour of respite per week, or would rather turn the majority of your care duties over to our professionals, we can help!
Learn More About Senior Care Services in Clinton Township, Michigan
Visit https://www.alwaysbestcare.com/mi/chesterfield/ to book a free care consultation with a member of our team and find out what we can do to help you find the right work-life balance.