Age In Place: Unlock The ‘Key To Longer Living’ With In-Home Care
Aging in place might be the key to longer living, according to a new study by Geriatic Nursing, and with our in-home care services at your side, that’s easier than ever.
Read on to learn how we’re helping seniors age-in-place and live happier, longer lives, or fill out our online contact form to request a callback from an in-home care coordinator in Clinton Township, MI.
New Study Suggest In-Home Care May Be The Key To Longer Life
According to a new study by the Geriatric Nursing journal, aging in place (AIP), defined as “the ability to live in one’s own home and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level,” could be the “key to living longer” (Popejoy et al., 2022, p. 47).
After monitoring a group of 194 seniors and conducting assessments every 3 to 6 months over an 8 year period, the research team concluded that:
- More than three out of four (76%) of seniors view aging-in-place as their ultimate aging goal, but less than two-thirds (59%) feel they will be able to do so without in-home care services
- Older adults moving to nursing homes or assisted living facilities “may experience relocation stress that is associated with greater depression, anxiety, and functional decline” (Popejoy et al., 2022, p. 52)
- Helping older adults age-in-place with in-home care services benefitted both their “physical and emotional wellbeing” (Popejoy et al., 2022, p. 52)
- Compared to both nursing homes and assisted living facilities, in-home care arrangements are far more effective at improving functional outcomes and controlling costs (Popejoy et al., 2022, p. 54).
Beyond keeping seniors comfortable and socially connected, aging in place with the help of our in-home care services also makes it easy to implement a number of healthy behavioral modifications associated with successful aging, including:
- Better dietary choices—Our in-home care teams take care of the shopping, cooking, and cleaning, making it easy to implement healthy diets and limit processed foods
- Improved sleep hygiene—In addition to providing peace of mind for better sleep with safety monitoring and support, in-home care teams can create healthy bedtime routines, limit caffeine in the afternoons and evenings, and make the bedroom environment calm, comfortable, and more conducive to restorative sleep.
- Enhanced COVID-19 safety protocols—For as long as the pandemic threat period persists, our in-home care teams will enforce COVID-19 safety protocols for your loved one at home and as they venture out in Clinton Township.
- Exercise—Our in-home care teams will help your loved ones get the recommended amount of daily physical activity, whether that means joining in on light walks around the block or driving them to their favorite exercise studios.
Get A Free Quote On In-Home Care Services In Clinton Township, MI
Ready to unlock the “key to longer living” for your loved ones? For the majority of Clinton Township residents, that’s easier said than done, as more than 60% of family caregivers are now juggling career and in-home care duties, according to the AARP’s 2020 Caregiving in the US report. But Always Best Care is here to help.
To get a free quote on in-home care services for your loved ones, call (586) 690-7500 or fill out our online contact form.
Popejoy, L., Zaniletti, I., Lane, K., Anderson, L., Miller, S., & Rantz, M. (2022). Longitudinal analysis of aging in place at TigerPlace: Resident function and well-being. Geriatric Nursing, 45, 47-54.