How Seniors Can Control Their High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure or hypertension is a health problem that millions of Americans battle every day. The risk of developing this condition increases as a person ages. According to reports, 64.0% men and 69.3% women aged 65 years old or older, suffer from hypertension in America. This condition can lead to severe outcomes including heart problems, stroke, dementia and more.
Now the question is – how can the older adults control their high blood pressure? Well, here are a few tips.
- Firstly, maintain a healthy diet, so that you get all the nutrients needed to control blood pressure. You should add fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products in your diet. You should also follow your doctor’s instructions when it comes to diet.
- Obese seniors should try to lose the excess weight in order to control hypertension. Maintaining a healthy weight is essential for their health.
- Seniors should exercise daily, go for daily walks and increase the amount of physical activity in their lives.
- Seniors with high blood pressure should reduce their salt intake. They should opt for more natural and unprocessed foods to reduce the amount of salt in their diet.
- They should quit bad habits too, like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.
If needed, then you should get daily living assistance and help from your loved ones to maintain your quality of life. They can help you with meals, medication and provide companionship too. However, if you have no time to look after your aging loved one’s needs and safety, consider hiring professional help in the form of in-home caregivers.
When looking for in-home care providers in Metro Detroit, contact Always Best Care today. It is a noted senior care organization that has highly trained, bonded, and insured caregivers.
For more information, call at (586) 329-1950.