Smart Travel for Older Adults
- Research: Learn about your destination and ask for recommendations from friends to choose safe accommodations. Read reviews online before booking.
- Look for savings: Remember to ask about senior discounts when booking hotels and look for early-bird dining specials.
- Check your travel documents: If going abroad, be sure none of your passports expire within six months of your planned travels.
- Make a checklist: Write down everything you’ll need and check the items off your list as you pack them.
- Pack light: Carry-on suitcases will be easier for you – and for anyone helping you – to manage during travel.
- Stay hydrated: When you’re on a different routine, it can be easy to forget about drinking water regularly. If you are visiting a different climate from what you are used to, you may find you need to adjust the quantity of water you need to stay hydrated.
- Leave valuables at home Don’t risk loss or theft of your most cherished jewelry.
- Stay in touch: Make sure family and friends know your travel itinerary. Have a list of emergency contacts with phone numbers and emails as a precaution.
- Carry medications with you: Never put your medications in checked luggage. Be sure to bring a list of all your medications with you.
If you will be traveling this summer, we wish you bon voyage!