How to Protect Your Elder From Pneumonia During Winter Season?
Winters are around the corner along with the holiday season. Everyone including seniors is busy in preparation, going out for shopping etc. However, keeping a close check on health is also essential in this season, as no one wants to spend the holiday season in bed.
For seniors, pneumonia poses a great threat in the winters. It is a lung infection that killed 50,622 people in America in 2014. According to the records, approximately 900,000 people in the USA get pneumococcal pneumonia every year. In addition, elders are at a higher risk of catching this infection.
Why seniors are at a higher risk?
- Poor immunity
- Due to long term or chronic diseases like cancer, asthma, heart conditions and diabetes
- Regular visits to healthcare centers like hospitals
- Lack of information or awareness about this infection
What are the symptoms?
- Chest pain
- Trouble in breathing
How can you protect your elder?
- Make sure your senior has received pneumococcal vaccine along with the flu shot before winters.
- Build up their immunity with health diet by including nutrients filled food items in it.
- Encourage your elder to exercise, as it improves immune system and health.
If you are unable to tend to the senior care giving duties due to other responsibilities, and then make sure, your elder receives proper care while aging in place in Martin County. You can hire trained and experienced caregivers for this purpose.
Call us at (888) 316-6178 to know more about the senior home care services in Martin County.