Encouraging a Healthy Lifestyle to Prevent Diabetes
Diabetes is a disease that affects millions of Americans every year. If you have a senior relative, you can help them reduce the risk of suffering from diabetes by making a few simple alterations in their life. The changes they need to incorporate into their lives are not difficult and could prove to be life-saving. If you or your relative’s in-home care service helps your relative stick to their goals, they might have a better chance at staying healthy.
Healthy Lifestyle Tips
- Include plenty of green leafy vegetables, fruits and whole grains in the diet
- Eat lean proteins
- Avoid drinking sugar filled drinks that only provide empty calories
- Keep an eye on calorie consumption in order to keep weight in check
- Avoid pre-packaged snacks
- Incorporate exercise into the daily routine – even brisk walking is enough
- Avoid excessive salt consumption
What can a Service Do?
A professional for a home care agency can come in and help your loved one with basic meal planning, grocery shopping and even preparing meals. In addition, the professional can also encourage exercise and provide companionship if needed. Sometimes all a person needs is a little encouragement or companionship to stick to the routine of brisk walks at least 3 times per week. Helping your loved one find ways to enhance their health in their golden years might help them ward off diseases such as diabetes.