Eight Ways to be Good to Your Joints
Your body contains about 360 joints, from the ones that help you chew your food, to those that move your feet. You need to have each of your joints in top working condition so that you can move around freely without experiencing pain.
Here are eight ways to be good to your joints so they will always be good to you:
- Reduce stress on your back and hips by alternating between sitting and standing. Stand up and stretch after sitting for a half hour or so.
- Stay away from high heels. A three-inch heel will stress your feet up to 7x more than do shoes with a heel that is only one inch in length. Heels also increase the amount of stress that is applied to your knees.
- Slim down. Every pound you gain quadruples the stress on your knees. Losing as little as 11 pounds can reduce your risk for osteoarthritis of the knees by as much as 50 percent.
- Bend with your knees, not with your back. Take special care when performing household activities that require bending and reaching, such as unloading a dishwasher or washing machine, making beds, and picking up items from the floor.
- Wear knee pads or use a piece of material to cushion your knees from hard surfaces.
- Ask for help carrying heavy loads. Carry loads close to your body to reduce stress on your joints. Keep the load at waist level.
- Turn off the television and go for a walk. Perform low-impact exercises throughout the day to prevent stiffness. Exercise keeps joints strong and functional. Physical activity also prevents unnecessary snacking.
- Keep those bones strong with plenty of calcium. Consume fresh dairy products and vegetables like kale, collards and broccoli to get your daily supply of this important mineral.
Contact your local Always Best Care office by calling toll-free 1-855-470-CARE (2273) for more tips on maintaining good joint care.
Always Best Care Senior Services
Always Best Care Senior Services (www.alwaysbestcare.com/) is based on the belief that having the right people for the right level of care means peace of mind for the client and family. Always Best Care Senior Services has assisted over 25,000 seniors, representing a wide range of illnesses and personal needs. This has established the company as one of the premier providers of in-home care, assisted living placement assistance, and skilled home health care.
To print this article CLICK HERE