Fun Summer Activities to Do with Seniors
That chill in the air is officially gone, and warm weather is here to stay! Summer is a great opportunity for seniors to get out and about and enjoy some fresh air. Plus, the kids are out of school, so it allows for more flexibility in getting the family together. Schedule some fun events and activities with your senior this summer to keep them active and create memories that will last a lifetime.
- Go swimming. It’s easy on the joints and offers a cool respite from the summer heat.
- Pick fresh fruits and vegetables. Whether you have your own garden, go to the community garden, or visit a farm or orchard, there’s nothing quite like plucking fresh produce right from the tree or ground. Use it to make some healthy meals together!
- Go to a farmers market. Not quite up for picking your own produce? Support your local farmers market and see what fresh food options they have. Many markets also offer plants and crafts as well, so you never know what you might find.
- Enjoy outdoor events. Check your local paper or websites to see what concerts, fairs, craft shows, or other special events are coming up. Pick some activities you think your aging parent might enjoy, such as a concert with music they’re familiar with, a fair with handcrafted goods, or a baseball game.
- Have a picnic. Pack a blanket and some favorite foods and spend the day at the park having a picnic, playing with the grandkids on the playground, or tossing a ball or frisbee back and forth. If there’s a pond, see if you can feed the ducks.
- Go to the movies. Too hot to be outside? Escape to the movies for the afternoon. There are new movies coming out all the time, and some venues show classics over the summer as well. You’ll also have a great source of conversation once it’s over sharing your thoughts.
- Plan a weekend getaway. Need a change of scenery? Take your aging parent along for a long weekend. You could revisit somewhere you used to go as a kid or check out somewhere completely new. Ask your loved one about places they’d like to go or things they want to do in order to plan a trip that everyone can enjoy.
As you’re out and about this summer, don’t forget to pack plenty of water and sunscreen. You don’t want anyone to become dehydrated, and seniors’ skin can be especially sensitive in the sun. Try to avoid being out during the hottest part of the day, and if you must, find a cool, shady place to take a break.
Staying active and social is encouraged for seniors so they don’t become too isolated and to help boost their mood. During times when you’re not available, an in-home caregiver in Central Connecticut can be a wonderful source of companionship and support for your senior. The caregiver can escort them on outings, help them prepare meals with the fresh produce they picked, reminisce about favorite activities, and make sure they’re staying safe. Find out more about the benefits of senior care by contacting Always Best Care today at (860) 533-9343 and schedule a free consultation. Help your loved one make the most of each day.