6 Ways an In-Home Caregiver Can Assist Seniors with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a progressive health condition that leaves the patient increasingly breathless as the airways become inflamed, get clogged with mucus, and lose their elastic quality. Symptoms of COPD may range from coughing, wheezing, to chest tightness, etc. While medications do help in managing these symptoms and slow down the disease progression, no proper cure for COPD has yet been found.
However, it is possible to manage the disease through some simple dietary and lifestyle alterations. If you have a senior family member suffering from COPD, they can also benefit from the care and support of an in-home caregiver. Even if you think that you can very well take care of your loved one, you may not have the kind of training required to provide the right level of care to someone with COPD. Therefore, it is best to leave the care of your elderly loved one to a professional caregiver.
Given below are some of the ways in which an in-home caregiver can help improve a senior’s quality of life with their care and support.
- They can keep the house organized in such a way that the senior is able to easily find or reach out to things that they most often use.
- Accompany the senior for walks or outings so that they can stay fit and active, and continue doing the things that they enjoy.
- Develop a meal plan that supports better lung and respiratory health for the senior.
- Remind them to take their medications on time as prescribed by the doctor.
- Assist with light housekeeping, in maintaining the right wake-up and bedtime routines, dressing, grooming, and other activities of daily living that they may need help with.
- Provide companionship so that they always have someone to talk to, laugh with, and share their deepest fears with.
Having an in-home caregiver is one of the most crucial steps in ensuring that seniors with COPD can age in place safely. To find the most reliable in home caregivers in Contra Costa County for your loved one, Always Best Care of East Bay is one of the senior care organizations you can trust.
For more information, call at (925) 210-0323.