Protect Your Senior Loved one from a Stairway Fall
Being older does not mean that one has to sit at home alone. There are many things seniors could be doing. However, for safe and comfortable living, seniors and their loved ones need to make adjustments to their home, especially the stairs. Most seniors want to stay at home for as long as possible. For those who want to age in place, safety is a major factor. To minimize the risk of a life–threatening fall at home, certain safety features need put in place.
Falls are the leading cause of injuries for people 65 years old and above. Even falls without a serious injury can cause seniors to become depressed and fearful, making it hard for them to stay active. If you have an aging loved one in your life, helping him/her reduce their risk of falling is an excellent way to help them stay independent and healthy as long as possible. As the premier senior care San Diego CA provider, Always Best Care considers fall prevention one of its greatest responsibilities. One place in particular that deserves special attention is the senior’s staircase.
Five Ways to Make Stairs Safer for the Elderly
Stairs cause many accidents each year. Fortunately, there are ways of making stairs safer for seniors and everyone else. They include:
- Ensuring there is adequate lighting around the house, especially in the stairway. Seniors often find it difficult to see clearly and cannot always differentiate between individual steps. It is best to illuminate each platform.
- Do a safety walk– go through their home, especially the staircase, to ensure it is safe for them. If there are structural risks, call a contractor as soon as possible. You can even fix some problems yourself.
- Ensure the surface of the stairs is not slippery. If it is, consider carpeting the stairs or covering them with a non–skid mat.
- Keep the stairway clear of clutter, furniture, or any other items that may put your loved one at risk.
- Maintain the stability of the handrails and replace any missing pieces. Make sure that the senior is able to wrap his/her entire hand around it and grip it firmly.
Though they may not be as active as they were before, the elderly in your life still deserve to go out and enjoy what life has to offer in San Diego, CA. Living in San Diego allows them many wonderful opportunities to celebrate and embrace life. If needed, you can hire an elderly care San Diego CA caregiver to assist your loved one in enjoying the indoor and outdoor life that he/she deserves.
With the help of an assisted living San Diego CA company such as Always Best Care, your mother, father, grandmother, grandfather or relative will be able to enjoy life on the Pacific coast of California famous for its warm climate, parks, and beaches. The in-home care San Diego CA caregivers at ABC can also accompany your loved ones to the world–famous San Diego Zoo, or to the numerous art galleries and museums that San Diego has to offer such as the San Diego Natural History Museum, the San Diego Museum of art, or the San Diego Museum of Man.
Finding the right elderly care in San Diego is a great way to regain one’s independence as one grows older. To learn more about home care San Diego CA providers, give Bill and Diane at Always Best Care a call today at (619) 757-1114 or by email at [email protected]. Always Best Care of San Diego, where going the extra mile is not just what we do, it’s who we are. We look forward to hearing from you!