Tips to Follow When Caring for Senior with Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease that can affect an individual’s cognitive abilities, mental health and memories. It can lead to behavior changes, confusion, memory loss, wandering and irritability. Thus, caring for a senior with this condition can be difficult for a family member. However, if you are caring for your Alzheimer’s suffering senior, then following are a few tips that can make the task a bit easier for you.
- Clear out any clutter from the house to ensure it is safe for your aging loved one. The house should be safe and comfortable for them to live in.
- Every room should be properly illuminated to reduce the risk of slips, trips and falls.
- Bathrooms can be a dangerous area for older adults. So, try to not to leave your senior alone in bathtub, and if they insist on being then alone then close the curtain to give them privacy. In addition, install grab bars, and remove slippery rugs from the bathroom.
- Your senior may be experiencing memory loss. Keeping pictures of family and friends on hand can help you in this situation. You can show them pictures, if they get confused due to memory loss.
- Wandering is common in Alzheimer’s patients, so make sure to safeguard the house accordingly. Set locks in place, and keep an eye on senior to avoid a wandering incident.
- You should also consider hiring professionals to care for your aging loved one.
If you are seeking dementia care services in Carmel Valley or nearby areas, then visit Always Best Care. They have trained and experienced caregivers. Call at (831) 975-4072.