Caregivers: Avoid These 5 Common Mistakes When Searching Senior Living Facilities
It’s only natural that family caregivers want the best for their senior loved ones. And, when it comes to locate a senior living facility for them, you want to make the best decision possible so that they will be happy, safe, active, and social. But, with anything there are mistakes that can be made during this process. Let’s take a look at them now:
1) Remember that it’s the care that’s important – not the setting or atmosphere. While everyone wants to live in a luxurious place, keep in mind that what your aging loved one really needs is quality care. Sure, one particular facility might boast beautiful gardens and fountains, but do they stack up in terms of quality care for their residents? Don’t be hasty in making a decision based on how attractive the facility looks from the outside.
2) Proximity to family isn’t as important as you might think. Again, with the idea of finding the most suitable facility for your senior loved one, remember that you are not likely to visit them every single day. It’s more important to find a facility, where they can flourish with daily activities and socialization engagements.
3) Just because you like the environment, doesn’t mean your loved one will too. Keep in mind that it’s your loved one and not you that will be living there. Don’t take offense if you think you have found the perfect facility for them and they, in turn, don’t like it. It’s not about your tastes, it’s about theirs.
4) Stay realistic in your search. Keep in mind the level of care that senior needs now and what they will need in the future. Does the living environment you’ve chosen meet all the present and future care needs?
5) Don’t make your decision too quickly. Every important decision should take some time. It’s like baking a loaf of bread, you need to give it time to cook, to rise, and to be ready. Also, during this time, visit at least three or four communities to know the differences and choose the best one for senior.
Seniors or families living in the Birmingham area, who are interested in learning about senior living options in Birmingham, Alabama, can contact the local Always Best Care office at (205) 874-9730 to setup a free care consultation. They look forward to hearing from you!