A Few Ways To Prevent Senior Malnutrition
Seniors have different nutritional requirements as compared to younger adults and they are more likely to get impacted by a deficient diet. Malnutrition is a common problem among the seniors. It can be caused due to a number of problems. Below mentioned are some of the main causes of malnutrition in your loved one.
- Living alone and not eating properly
- Trouble swallowing
- Lack of mobility
- Depression and dementia
- Trouble chewing due to dental problems
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Restricted diet
You need to be aware of the different signs and symptoms to keep your seniors safe from malnutrition. Here are some of the ways that can help preventing the problem of malnutrition in your aging loved ones.
- Keep a check on your loved one’s eating habits. Ensure that they take a healthy and a proper meal that should include enough fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, check the refrigerator and make sure it contains plenty of healthy food and juices.
- Stay updated with your senior’s health and watch for any changes or fluctuation in weight. If anything concerns you, connect with the doctor immediately.
- Apart from healthy diet, encourage your seniors to drink an adequate amount of liquids to stay hydrated. The liquids can include juices, soups, tea, and coffee.
However, if you have no time to look after your senior’s diet and nutrition, you can ask for help from the professional caregivers of Always Best Care. They have bonded and insured caregivers who will look after your senior’s safety in your absence and ensure they have a sufficient and healthy diet.
To know more about the caregivers in Birmingham, contact us today at (205) 874-9730.