As you try to help your senior relative stay healthy, there are many factors you need to consider. One of the easiest ways to aid in the goal of achieving good health is by helping them eat a proper breakfast. Whether your relative has an in-home care provider or they handle their meals on their own, it is always a good idea to remind them of the importance of breakfast and how to keep it healthy.
There are many benefits that anyone can gain by eating a nutritious breakfast including:
- Increasing metabolism
- Increased energy
- Keep blood pressure levels low
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Maintain a healthy digestive system
- Have higher levels of concentration
What to Eat
In order for breakfast to be considered healthy, it must meet a few important requirements:
- Consist of high fiber foods in order to encourage a healthy digestive system and prevent constipation
- Be high in protein in order keep energy levels high
- Keep food choices low-fat, choosing egg whites over whole eggs and skim milk rather than whole milk
- Include plenty of fruit
- All breads and grains should be whole grains
Consistently eating a healthy breakfast can help seniors stay healthy in the long run. Discussing its importance with your relative or having the professional that provides home health care for your loved one assist him or her with the choices made for breakfast can help enhance their health for many years to come.