At-home care services give seniors the ability to stay in their own home, even when some help is needed in order to function on a day-to-day basis. Providing professional care in their home allows seniors to continue to live in a place they’re familiar with while obtaining ongoing care that is not always possible from friends and family. There are a variety of types of care that can be provided for seniors; the most common care includes help with dressing, bathing, cooking, transportation, laundry, cleaning and assistance at social outings. Having a full understanding of the services that can be provided for your loved one can help make the decision easier when the time comes to call for extra help.
How Does At-Home Care Benefit my Loved One’s Day to Day Life?
Giving your loved one the option to stay in their own home is one of the largest benefits of obtaining in-home care. There is a certain feeling of dignity and satisfaction they’ll get by remaining in their own home while obtaining help to get through their day-to-day needs. Some of the benefits that your loved one will experience include:
- Assistance with nutrition through grocery shopping, cooking or providing companionship during meals
- Assistance with daily needs including dressing, bathing, filling prescriptions, running errands, and cleaning
- Enhancing your loved one’s social life by offering companionship and providing necessary transportation to and from social outings
The day-to-day life of your loved one will remain the same with the addition of professional help to ensure that all of the things that your loved one considers a normal part of their life is done safely and made easy for them. This in itself is benefit enough for most seniors. The ability to stay in their home and retain their normal routine instills a feeling of normalcy even as their abilities change.
How do I Evaluate my Loved One’s Needs for At-Home Care?
When you consider professional care for your loved one, an evaluation will be set up to help you determine what the exact needs are for your relative. No two people have the same needs, which is why the evaluation is crucial. You will consider items, such as:
- Is there a need for help in the kitchen with cooking? What about with eating?
- Do they need help with basics such as dressing and bathing?
- Is there a need for companionship during certain times of the day?
- Is transportation needed?
- Does your loved one need help with grocery shopping?
- Can your loved one clean his/her own house or do they need help?
- Are there mobility issues?
- Does your loved one need help with managing mail, paperwork and organization?
- Is there a need for mental stimulation through the use of games, talking, and reading?
- Is there a need to help with remembering birthdays or holidays and the corresponding cards and gifts needed?
All of these answers will give you a starting point to help you determine the level of care that your loved one needs in their home.
What Types of Services are Available?
In-home care services can provide a wide variety of non-medical personal services that seniors require on a day-to-day basis. From the basics of dressing, bathing, and cooking, to more specific services such as maintaining their calendar, picking up prescriptions, organizing mail, making shopping lists, escorting to church, and assisting with managing clothing, a professional care provider can help make your loves one’s life easier. They can also assist with items such as:
- Caring for home items, such as plants and pets
- Stimulating the mind by encouraging certain activities
- Assisting with dry cleaning drop off/pick up
- Transporting to hair or beauty appointments
- Reminding about medications
- Purchasing newspapers and/or magazines
Why Work With Always Best Care When Looking for Senior In-Home Care Services?
Always Best Care has always had the highest standards to ensure that all of our clients find the utmost quality care at home. Our goal is to find honest care services that promote quality of life. We help match clients with the appropriate in-home care professional to ensure satisfaction with the care provided. Finding the right provider for your loved one is one of the best ways to show your love and compassion for a relative. You are providing the highest quality care because you want only the best for them.
Finding the right in-home care provider for your loved one is an important step in both of your lives. It ensures you that your loved one is well cared for while you are not able to be with them, and it gives your loved one the sense of independence and respect that they need. Taking the time to find the perfect match for your loved one will help to make the relationship one that lasts throughout the years. There are a variety of services that can be provided that make day-to-day living easier and more enjoyable for your relative while allowing them to remain in the home that they love.